Geneva

This steam-operated propeller-driven boat was used regularly on the Madawaska and York Rivers to pull barges with corundum ore from the Craigmont Mine to the railway at Barry’s Bay as well as transport other cargo on the waterway. It was owned by Starr Easton of Palmer Rapids during the early part of the 20th century. It was approximately 45’ long, 10’ wide and 9’ high and had a boiler for steam to power the boat.

The boat was pulled up on shore at Wishman’s Landing on the York River (Conroy’s Marsh) sometime in the early 1920’s. George & Ella (Phannenhour) Wishman owned a large tract of property from the top of the mountain down to the shoreline adjacent to the Starr Easton and William & Pauline Fhannenhaur (Phannenhour) families. It is believed the Geneva was the last commercial wooden boat using the waterway. This exhibit contains some of the actual remnants of the Geneva including the bow and boiler as well as a recently constructed third size replica of the boat crafted by Allen Gogolin, Willard Musclow and their team. They did an outstanding job!

This exhibit is in memory of Con & Nancy Enright. The Combermere Heritage Society wish to honour and thank them very much for their strong interest and generosity in preserving part of our local heritage. The Society also wants to express their appreciation to the four grandsons of the original landowners for preserving and maintaining the boat’s remnants and surrounding site at the Landing. They are Brent & Barry Easton and the Soble family.

Photos of the Geneva on shore at Wishman’s Landing showing what the boat liked like after being pulled onto the shore are shown below.