The Cheese & Butter Company

On May 5, 1897, Combermere Cheese and Butter Company received this deed from Samuel Farmer who was given this land in 1895 as a free grant from the Crown. It would appear from this document that Samuel & Catherine Farmer along with N. E. James were partners and/or owners of the Company.

Edward & Catherine Doherty came to dwell on this land in May 1947 and their first building (where the remains of cheese and butter company was located) became known as Madonna House.

This cheese factory was one of two known to exist in the area in the late 1890’s and into the early 1900’s. The other factory was located on Centreview Rd. in the valley just past Whitely Rd. on the right side of the road in the bush. It was known as the Bangor Butter & Cheese Company. It is believed to have started in 1896 and lasted until 1907.

This deed copy was provided to Mission House Museum & Gallery courtesy of Madonna House, Combermere.