Where Did The Name “COMBERMERE” Come From?

Combermere was named in honour of Sir Stapleton Cotton, Viscount Combermere (1773-1865) who commanded cavalry in the Peninsula War. He was Commander-in-Chief in India (1825-1830) and was Field Marshall in 1855. His seat was Combermere Abbey in Cheshire, England.

Combermere was called Dennison’s Bridge before the Post Office was established in 1865. The term Dennison’s Bridge came from Captain John Dennison, one of the first pioneer settlers in this area. Captain John served under Sir Stapleton Cotton before coming to Dennison’s Bridge and hence the new name Combermere.